Design by Surita Nel – Kitchen Studio North Shore
This architecturally impressive home is surrounded by lush green countryside. The clients liked an array of design styles, including country, industrial & rustic kitchen design. However, no one style could represent the atmosphere they wanted present in their kitchen.
- Design style fusion that represents the home, owners and surroundings.
- Modern amenities while maintaining country authenticity.
- Display space for collection pieces and recipe books.
- Proportionate scale and areas of interest
- Capacity for large social functions
- A fully functional scullery
- Design fusion was created:
- Formal balance on the back wall, panelled door style, handles and butler sinks set the base of the design to establish the kitchen in its country surroundings.
- The black matt rangehood, freestanding range, taps and subway tile splashback represents the industrial style they liked.
- Rustic hand crafted timber shelving and brick veneer backdrop brings in the rustic element, tying it to the home’s architecture. Recycled timber from an old family wharf connects their history to the space.
- Modern amenities were hidden where possible, by integrating bins, dishwashers etc.
- Open shelving allowed the owner to display personal collections and books.
- The large island and back wall provides the scale needed in the cavernous space. Dark grey cabinets solidify the kitchen in the area, offset by a light benchtop for balance.
- One side of the island was created as a social dining space where people can face each other comfortably. Located next to the dining table, accommodates overflow seating for larger groups and act as serving area for large platters of food.
- The scullery was fitted out with a dish drawer, bins etc. to function as a preparation space in its own right.